Sep 2019: We are hiring! *status: submissions under review*
Discover and unlock the power of your data
The data revolution is opening vast new opportunities for government agencies to better serve their citizens. Open Data Connect helps these agencies understand and make the most of these data driven opportunities.
Our vision is a future where public sector agencies are consistently delivering cutting edge services, where data driven technologies are embraced as a matter of business as usual, and where public servants are empowered by data.
We are a Canberra based consultancy, that focuses on nimble, high ROI engagements. We offer a mix of management consulting, and technology development services around automating business processes and improving the collection, transformation and utilisation of data.
Below are the key services we offer:
- Data Strategy / Governance – Data maturity assessments using maturity models and best practice data assessment methodologies (including CMM, DMBOK, ODI).
- Data collection – We can improve the consistency, coverage and timeliness of data collection and the efficiency of business processes through a level of targeted automation – especially where Microsoft Office or Google Suite applications are already in use.
- Data wrangling (cleansing and manipulation) – As anyone experienced in data science will tell you, this is where the bulk of effort is often required. We can help with the nitty gritty here. We focus on tools that are simple and powerful and can be picked up easily by others.
- Data utilisation – Data is only impactful when it is used to influence awareness and decision making. We can help iteratively develop, then automate the presentation of your data in a way that executives or other decision makers can quickly interpret meaningfully. We can use tools such as Tableau, PowerBI or lever the power of the often underestimated excel pivot table.
- Passion – we are genuinely passionate about the work we do. For our clients this equates to care in what we do and quality in our outputs.
- Knowledge transfer and sharing – knowledge transfer and sharing is at the core of what we do. We don’t believe in solutions that ‘lock in’ our clients. We want to see our clients and their staff empowered.
- High ROI engagements – We only want to work on engagements that will deliver a substantial benefit to our clients. We strive to deliver solutions that will provide a ROI by a multiple of 10x. This needs solutions that are easy to implement, but that can drive substantial change.
- Learning and sharing – We have a strong network across variable data disciplines that can be drawn upon to help our clients. We are at the forefront of best practices with regards to data management and leveraging open data. Our staff have presented to leading professional bodies and learning institutions. Including DAMA, ISACA, ODI, OKI, WMF, ACS, GovData and GovHack – see ‘link’ for more details.
- Support community based initiatives – We support organisations that contribute to the common ‘public good’ with data and information. Organisations such as the Open Data Institute, GovHack and Wikipedia.
A goal for Open Data Connect – is to solve local problems, using best practices from around the world. There is a wealth of valuable resources provided by leading global organisations. Some of the leading global entities are summarised below. We can help you leverage and tailor these to meet your needs.
Open Data Institute (ODI)
The ODI was co-founded in 2012 by the inventor of the web Sir Tim Berners-Lee to show the value of open data, and to advocate for the innovative use of open data. The ODI is headquartered in London, with an international reach.
Open Knowledge International (OKI)
Open Knowledge International is a global non-profit organisation focused on realising open data’s value to society by helping civil society groups access and use data to take action on social problems.
Data Management Association (DAMA)
DAMA is a vendor independent, not for profit professional association of information management practitioners. Its primary objective is to “promote the understanding and practice of managing information as key business assets”.
*** We are hiring! (Update September 2019) ***
Thankyou for the sumiss
Are you passionate about data and how it can make our society a better place? Are you looking to develop your skills and learn more about where data is going in the future? Then read on…
We are looking for someone to help with the following:
- Conduct research on the latest trends and development in data management, including surveys curating leading research and latest news, and conducting interviews
- Help build pilot data solution(s) using publicly available data
- Assist in client delivery work
Key skills required:
- A strong interest in problem solving using data
- Basic statistics, communication, data wrangling, dashboarding, report writing
- Experience in any of the following JSON, Python, R, Excel, VBA, Google Scripts, Tableau or PowerBI a bonus.
If you are in the final stages of your university degree this could be for you. If you are interested in learning more – please email email@example.com and include your CV.
e: firstname.lastname@example.org | ph: 0490813554